Thursday, July 31, 2008

Viva AKP !!!

I thank Allah the Almighty for sparing the ADALET ve KALKINMA PARTISI (or AKP, the Justice and Development Party) of Turkey from being banned/outlawed by the Constitutional Court. I would not dare to anticipate the turmoils it could have precipitated had the court decided otherwise, but I could imagine the faces of relief from the AKP leadership. I wish Premier Recep Tayyip Erdogan the best of health and be blessed with the energy and strength to continue with what AKP struggles for (I used to drive him and his wife, Amine, in my car round KL when they were on a private visit here).
It was a close call for the AKP when 6 of the 11 judges of the Constitutional Court voted for the ban, but it needed 7 to acquiesce the prosecution's case. The prosecutor, Abdurrahman Yalcinkaya, also sought to bar Erdogan and his 69 MP's from active politics for 5 years.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home